In 1677 Edmé Corty established a small domain at Pouilly. With André Moreux at his side, they bought their first vines across the river in Sancerre. In 1955 the direct descendents of Edmé and André, Jeannine Corty and Raymond Moreux, married, unifying the estate in perpetuity. As a wedding gift the parents gave the couple 4.5 hectares of the Loge Aux Moines, a vineyard created by Benedictine monks in the 11th century. Since 1979 the estate is run by their son Patrice, who has been joined by his children Arnaud and Julien.
One of the highest terroirs in the appellation, its south-facing Kimmeridge clay soils benefit from day long sunshine. It comes as no surprise that the motto of the domaine today is 'the land is our church'. Since taking over the 6 hectares in Sancerre and 34 hectares in Pouilly Fumé the family have decided to create a new label, Corty Artisans, to express more freely their philosophy: to produce wine as naturally as possible, with no added yeasts, enzymes, and adding minimal sulphur at bottling only.